6.3-PRERELEASE desktop system periodically freezes momentarily

Wayne Sierke ws at au.dyndns.ws
Sat Jan 12 20:03:52 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-13 at 03:24 +1030, Wayne Sierke wrote:
> I added options MUTEX_PROFILING and options HWPMC_HOOKS but the system
> hangs when going multi-user after printing: Entropy harvesting:
> interrupts ethernet point_to_point. ^t shows it stuck in dd, ^c brings
> out to sysctl [<null>] but I can't get past that and am forced to reset.
> I tried rebooting without loading modules which gets around that but
> then I can't get xorg to start even after loading nvidia.ko. I've seen
> the comment in the NOTES section in MUTEX_PROFILING re modules, does it
> mean that I won't be able to use nvidia.ko with this test kernel? If so
> perhaps someone could comment on how best to proceed re gathering test
> results? i.e. would it be better to just use 'nv' or 'vesa' driver for
> now and get mutex stats? Or forgo that and keep 'nvidia' and just use
> hwpmc, etc.

Someone replied privately and evidently I didn't make some things clear
about what I did/tried.

After changing the kernel config, I used appropriate incarnations of
'make buildkernel KERNCONF=' and 'make installkernel KERNCONF= KODIR='
and used 'nextboot -k'.

I also tried rebuilding nvidia.ko (including when booted under the
profiling kernel) but not surprisingly the resulting file was identical
to the original.

I've just booted into a kernel with options HWPMC_HOOKS so I'll grab
some results here. Meanwhile I'll prepare a kernel with just options
MUTEX_PROFILING and if I haven't heard anything different in the
meantime, I'll set about checking that out without nvidia.ko.

Wayne