sticky sound on 7 stable

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 11 08:53:19 PST 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 03:44:36PM +0100, Julian Stacey wrote:
> Hi stable@
> I have sticky sound flow on 2 different slowish laptops running 7
> Stable, Sound plays for a few secs, then breaks for a fraction &
> resumes, repeatedly.  I guess fault is not sound config, hence I'm
> not posting multimedia@, but stable@ where I've seen other Sticky
> 7 response topics.

> Much other info on both laptops & their BSD conf. here:
> 	host=lapd CPU 166M 586
>   http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/digital/
> 	host=lapn CPU 133M 586
>   http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/laptops/dell_latitude_xpi_p133st/
> Many dmesg & other debug info linked within, anything else you want
> please just tell me debug command to run.  I'm happy to try src/ &
> sys/ patches etc. Pref. based on 7-stable.
>
> Both have /boot/loader.conf:
> hw.ata.ata_dma="0"              # Essential else disk access fails.
> 	Could that be it ?
> 	both report from xs atacontrol mode ad0
> 	current mode = PIO4

This won't help. Mayby there is a BIOS setting that would enable you to
run with dma enabled.

> I dont know about HZ setting, or different schedulers, but happy

On 7.x, it is recommended to use SCHED_ULE. I'm not sure what compiling
the kernel with HZ=1000 would accomplish, the default is HZ=100. See

Have a look at the sound(4) manual page. There are some sysctls that
influence latency; hw.snd.latency_profile and hw.snd.latency. If the
problem is IRQ processing, you could try setting dev.pcm.0.polling to 1
if the driver supports it. Another thing to check is if the sound card
isn't sharing an interrupt with other devices. The command 'ps -xa |
grep irq' would be of use there.

Roland