FreeBSD tar errors on valid empty tar.gz

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Jan 10 15:37:56 PST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008, at 2:58 PM, Steven Hartland wrote:
> Seems our current libarchive? That support FreeBSD's tar
> implementation has
> a bug where it can create archives it cant read back. This can be seen
> by simply creating an empty tar.gz file and then trying to expand or
> list it.
>
> In doing the above you get the following error:
> tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format
>
> N.B. gtar can list and expand the created file without issue.

I can't seem to produce this on a 6.3 (prerelease, built mid December
2007) system:

1% touch empty.tar.gz
2% tar ztf empty.tar.gz
3% gtar ztf empty.tar.gz
gzip: (stdin): unexpected end of file
gtar: Child returned status 1
gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

4% tar --version
bsdtar 1.9.3 - libarchive 1.9.3
5% gtar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.18