Rancid/Expect failing on FreeBSD/SMP systems

Nick Gustas freebsd-stable at tychl.net
Thu Jan 10 06:21:27 PST 2008

Lars Erik Gullerud wrote:

> So it only seems to be on newer FreeBSD with SMP. (If anyone have
> RANCID working okay on FreeBSD 6.x/7.x on SMP systems at all, please
> let me know...)

This probably won't be of much help, I figured I'd chime in anyway since
it may effect me in the future, but I just haven't had any trouble with
rancid on 7.x yet. It's only been in operation for 11 days though.

FreeBSD xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com 7.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE #1:
Fri Dec 28 21:48:39 EST 2007

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz (3059.98-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf29  Stepping = 9

Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x4400<CNXT-ID,xTPR>
real memory  = 4026376192 (3839 MB)
avail memory = 3937681408 (3755 MB)
ACPI APIC Table: <IBM    SERONYXP>
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
 cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
 cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  6

I'm currently  monitoring 18 cisco routers using ssh login, probably not
enough to trigger the problem.

grep -c up router.db
18

pkg_info -r rancid-2.3.1_2