overheating Thinkpad X60s with 7.0-RC1

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko gaijin.k at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 18:17:35 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 21:42 +0100, Johannes Dieterich wrote:
> Thanks for that reply! :-)
>
> On 1/7/08, Alexandre Sunny Kovalenko <gaijin.k at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > First -- the disclaimer -- mine is X60 (not X60s), but with 1.83GHz
> > 32-bit CPU, so it should be somewhat similar to yours. At the moment it
> > has USB drivers loaded, which tends to bump CPU utilization and
> > temperature. It has UltraBase attached and is sitting on top of the
> > aluminum passive cooler pad.
>
> I guess the two should be rather similar. May I ask what you mean with
> "aluminum passive cooler pad"? Is that located underneath your UltraBase? If
> yes, does it help? Mine does not get that hot there.
Chunk of aluminum with two dead fans inside -- used to be "active cooler
pad" when fans were alive ;) I use second HD in the UltraBase every now
and again and it gets warm.

> > I does look shade cooler then yours, and fan is running at the lower
> > speed.
>
> An that is what makes me wonder...
>

> I will try to list things that I do/have done, and you can compare them
> > to your setup:
> > -- BIOS is updated to the latest level (I do keep XP partition for this
> > specific purpose).
>
> That is not the case with mine because of the lack of a XP partition. Do you
> have any idea whether these FreeDOS BIOS-flash mechanisms are working?
On my 42p (work machine), I normally use USB floppy with FreeDOS to
flash the BIOS -- IBM^H^H^HLenovo usually distributes two BIOS updates
-- you want one marked as the "floppy version". I think if you look
through the mail archives, you should be able to find suggestion on
making bootable CD, if USB floppy is out of reach.

<skip>
> -- I set low CPU state to C2 in rc.conf
> > performance_cx_lowest="C2"    # Online CPU idle state
> > economy_cx_lowest="C2"       # Offline CPU idle state
>
> Done.
Ahem... if "LOW" there does not render your machine unusable, it is even
better.

> Concerning the later cpufreq discussion: done that too. So far so good. The
> cpufreq module gives
>
> module_register: module pci/ichss_pci already exists!
> Module pci/ichss_pci failed to register: 17
> module_register: module cpu/ichss already exists!
> Module cpu/ichss failed to register: 17
> module_register: module cpu/est already exists!
> Module cpu/est failed to register: 17
> module_register: module cpu/p4tcc already exists!
> Module cpu/p4tcc failed to register: 17
> module_register: module cpu/powernow already exists!
> Module cpu/powernow failed to register: 17
> module_register: module cpu/smist already exists!
> Module cpu/smist failed to register: 17
I guess, here might be another difference -- I load acpi as the module.
If you think it will help, I can mail you my kernel config outside of
the list.

> [...]
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.hotkey: 1443
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.lcd_brightness: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.volume: 9
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.mute: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.thinklight: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.bluetooth: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.wlan: 1
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_speed: 3450
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level: 7
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan: 1
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.thermal: 57 56 -1 54 37 -1 32 -1
>
> when it started. Rather healthy although the fan is rather high.
>
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%desc: IBM ThinkPad ACPI Extras
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%driver: acpi_ibm
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__.HKEY
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=IBM0068 _UID=0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%parent: acpi0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.initialmask: 2060
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.availmask: 16777215
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.events: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.eventmask: 2060
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.hotkey: 1443
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.lcd_brightness: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.volume: 9
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.mute: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.thinklight: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.bluetooth: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.wlan: 1
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_speed: 4081
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level: 7
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan: 1
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.thermal: 81 57 -1 79 37 -1 32 -1
>
> some ten minutes later.
>
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%desc: IBM ThinkPad ACPI Extras
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%driver: acpi_ibm
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__.HKEY
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=IBM0068 _UID=0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%parent: acpi0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.initialmask: 2060
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.availmask: 16777215
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.events: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.eventmask: 2060
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.hotkey: 1443
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.lcd_brightness: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.volume: 9
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.mute: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.thinklight: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.bluetooth: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.wlan: 1
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_speed: 4709
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level: 7
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan: 1
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.thermal: 87 57 -1 85 37 -1 32 -1
>

> again ten minutes more.
>
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%desc: IBM ThinkPad ACPI Extras
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%driver: acpi_ibm
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__.HKEY
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=IBM0068 _UID=0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.%parent: acpi0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.initialmask: 2060
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.availmask: 16777215
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.events: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.eventmask: 2060
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.hotkey: 1443
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.lcd_brightness: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.volume: 9
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.mute: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.thinklight: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.bluetooth: 0
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.wlan: 1
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_speed: 4675
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level: 7
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan: 1
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.thermal: 88 59 -1 86 37 -1 32 -1
Yikes! Can you, please, post results of 'sysctl dev.cpu.0'

> and this some ten/fifteen minutes before overheat. I find it remarkable that
> it apparently suddenly goes some almost 40 (!) degrees up.
>
> So what is left now is a BIOS update, or? Does
> http://taint.org/2007/04/23/153737a.html sound doable for anyone?
>
> Any other ideas?
Well, let's cvsup on the close dates (I do it on the regular basis
anyway), take my kernel config, build identical kernels, ditch the X
completely, remove systems from docks and away from cooling pads, run
something CPU-intensive and compare notes. We can do it off-list and
post summary in the case of success.

For starters, why don't you send me your output of pciconf -lv
and /var/run/dmesg.boot along with /boot/loader.conf
and /etc/sysctl.conf. You can add you kernel config for the good
measure.

> Thanks,
>
> Johannes

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko