overheating Thinkpad X60s with 7.0-RC1

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Mon Jan 7 00:32:38 PST 2008

On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:22:48 -0500
Nathan Lay <nslay at comcast.net> wrote:

> I do notice, however, that FreeBSD seemed to never use the fan to its
> potential on any of the Thinkpads I've used (T40 for 3 years, T43 for 3
> years).  Comparably, Windows XP would rev the fan far higher than even
> setting 'dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level=7' when under load.  The fan can
> certainly work faster (even when booting FreeBSD, its audibly
> faster)...but 7 is the highest level acpi_ibm allows one to set.

yes, this is true -  even booting under knoppix and loading some special drivers, u can pass -1 (or some special value) to the linux driver and it will let the fan spin lose...and it definitely goes far faster than the approximately 3.5K rpm it does with fan_level=7 and fan=0.

I have a Thinkpad Z60m, single core, 2 GHz. Everything original except the memory, increased to 1.5 GB.

in my case, i think the GPU heats up pretty badly... it is very hot where I think the video card is located.

I've posted to both mobile@ and acpi@ under the subject of 'Management of Thermal' with my woes while on the latest 6.2 before 7 went into Beta1. Since my upgrade to 7 i've had no major issues with heat. The emails i've posted previously show the settings i have been using, as well as whatever I had done in knoppix to manage the speed of the fan.

cheers,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar"
   Antonio Machado