overheating Thinkpad X60s with 7.0-RC1

Johannes Dieterich dieterich.joh at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 6 14:58:35 PST 2008

On 1/6/08, Henrik Brix Andersen <brix at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 06, 2008 at 10:26:48PM +0100, Johannes Dieterich wrote:
> > X and T series of the thinkpads are rather different, even the cores are
> > completely different (I have a dualcore low-voltage version, I assume
> > yours is running on a dual Pentium m, or?).
>
> FWIW, I haven't seen any temperature related issues on my ThinkPad
> X60s, which has been tracking -CURRENT for the last year or so.
>
> It too has had the IPW3945 replaced by an Atheros wireless card, but
> it is still using the original HDD.

Can the HDD change already cause such a thing? Besides that: I have not
configured anything myself concerning ACPI. Anyone any idea what/where/how
to check? I DO think that the fan is working. I can hear it (and it does not
sound ill) and it also shows in

$ sysctl dev.acpi_ibm
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%desc: IBM ThinkPad ACPI Extras
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%driver: acpi_ibm
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%location: handle=\_SB_.PCI0.LPC_.EC__.HKEY
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%pnpinfo: _HID=IBM0068 _UID=0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.%parent: acpi0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.initialmask: 2060
dev.acpi_ibm.0.availmask: 16777215
dev.acpi_ibm.0.events: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.eventmask: 2060
dev.acpi_ibm.0.hotkey: 1443
dev.acpi_ibm.0.lcd_brightness: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.volume: 9
dev.acpi_ibm.0.mute: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.thinklight: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.bluetooth: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.wlan: 1
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_speed: 4071
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level: 0
dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan: 1
dev.acpi_ibm.0.thermal: 62 61 -1 58 43 -1 40 -1

Now not being touched at all for an hour and just idling around. Besides it
did work under 6.2 without problems, would be a crazy coincident if right
with the update the fan broke.

Any idea anyone? :S

Thanks,

Johannes