Nagios + 6.3-RELEASE == Hung Process

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jan 5 09:39:25 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 01:50:15PM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> At 10:55 AM 1/3/2008, Vivek Khera wrote:
> As noted in my original report, this isn't a nagios issue per se ...
>>> my first
>>> experience with this issue was with Azureus/java ... so its a
>>> 'threading issue
>>> in general' ...
>>
>> For years now I've been running with libthr as the default threading
>> library as set in libmap.conf.  The *only* issue I've run into is with
>> Java, and that requires libpthread.  So my libmap.conf looks like
>> this, and everything works really well (including Nagios, mysql, etc.)
>
> Same here. We were getting quite a few Nagios threads spinning their wheels
> (almost 1 per day) with
> 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #0: Sun Dec  2
> running Nagios 2.5.  Changing to libthr fixed the problem and we have yet
> to see a stuck thread since making the change.

I'm going to pick up PR 119246 and hopefully get it committed in a few
days (pending mentor approval).  According to my understanding of this
thread this will fix the threading problems people have been discussing
here, and will hopefully be picked up in net-mgmt/nagios sooner rather
than later. :)

-- WXS