Mixer default values not restored

Jouke Witteveen j.witteveen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 06:02:39 PST 2008

Hello,

I'm running FreeBSD 7.0 RC1 with the following in my kernel configuration:
---
device          sound
device          snd_emu10kx
---
My soundcard is a Soundblaster Live!

In trying to make the rear-channel volume default to "100" I added the
following to my /boot/device.hints:
---
hint.pcm.1.vol="100"
hint.pcm.1.pcm="100"
---
This method is suggested on page 164 (section 7.2.4) of the Handbook.

The problem is that these mixer levels do not apply:
---
$ mixer -f /dev/mixer1
Mixer vol      is currently set to  75:75
Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
---
There is no problem however in manualy settig these values.

Any help is welcome. My machine can - may it be needed - be used as a testbase.

Regards,
- Jouke