6.3-RC2 Available

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Tue Jan 1 08:48:46 PST 2008

Hello,

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 07:59:24 -0500
Ken Smith <kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU> wrote:

> If you would like to test doing a fresh install ISOs for each <arch>
> are available at:

I just finsihed installing  6.3-RC2 on my new amd64 machine[1] (I
installed from disc1).There was one small issue with sysinstall:
when I got to "configure networking", I had to do 'ifconfig re0 up'
from the rescue shell on vty4 before the network interface would work
(I use dhcp).
First I did 'ifconfig re0' - it showed status as "no carrier". after 'ifconfig re0 up' it showed status as "active".

I had the same problem when installing FreeBSD 7.0-beta4.
I believe this problem is related specifically to some re0 nics, mine
is a:
tingo at kg-vm$ pciconf -lv | grep -B4 ethernet
re0 at pci2:0:0:   class=0x020000 card=0x81aa1043 chip=0x816810ec rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
    device     = 'RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC'
    class      = network
    subclass   = ethernet

Perhaps this workaround should be mentioned in the errata if it isn't fixed before release?