$HOME changed from 6.2 to 6.3 and 7.0 ?!

Willy Offermans Willy at Offermans.Rompen.nl
Fri Feb 29 12:13:51 UTC 2008

Dear Thomas and FreeBSD friends,

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 12:52:11PM +0100, Thomas Krause wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> after upgrading from 6.2R to 6.3R my daily jobs, which are normaly
> executed from /etc/daily.local, are not longer started.
> The entry in daily.local is
> $HOME/bin/save-conf.sh
> 6.2R executed /root/bin/save-conf.sh
> 6.3R (and 7.0R) tries to start /var/log/bin/save-conf.bin
>
> Why? I cannot find such a homedir in /etc/passwd!
>
> Regards,
> Thomas.

I'm sorry, I do not know why $HOME is resolved to /var/log/.

Is /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/ not the place to put your daily
executable scripts? What is daily.local about? I have searched the net
myself and seems that daily.local is something out of an old box. It
should be superseded by /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/
Do you have a script like /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/999.local Or is
there another place where the script daily.local will be launched. I
assume that daily.local is a script? Maybe there $HOME is set?

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,
With kind regards,

Willy