FreeBSD 7.0 Questions

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Thu Feb 28 07:50:36 UTC 2008

I have just installed 7.0 on some new hardware.  Have never tried
earlier versions.  There are a couple of unexpected items that I do
not understand.

1.  When booting there are a few messages like:
	acd0: TIMEOUT - READ_BIG retrying....

     When the system is booted off CD (like installation disk), it
takes about 10 minutes
     after these messages first appear and then it finally starts up
sysinstall properly.

     After the system is installed on disk, it reboots and just
continues on past those
     messages with no delays.  Sometimes those messages do not appear
in dmesg.boot.

     Why are there long delays when booting from CD?

2.  I have 2 SATA drives in the system.  The first is recognized as
ad10 and the second as
     ad12.  I expected to see ad0 and ad1.