ntpd fails to synchronize on FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE

Pongthep Kulkrisada ptkrisada at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 15:09:18 UTC 2008

Thanks Proto and Chadwick

> I can't help you with the IPv6 stuff; I don't use IPv6.
Actually I don't force ntpd to use IPv6. Hostnames could be resolved to any
IPv4 addresses. I have no problem with that.
The only thing I want is ``synchronization''.

> Please do not define driftfile in /etc/ntp.conf.  The /etc/rc.d/ntpd
> framework will take care of that for you by using -f /var/db/ntpd.drift.
I have tried it, still not work.

> If I were you, I'd try sniffing traffic on your LAN segment to see if
> you're even getting responses from the remote NTP servers.  Using
> tcpdump, you should be able to achieve this by doing:
>
> # tcpdump -l -n -s 8192 -p "port 123"
>
> I'm willing to bet you're not even getting responses from the remote
> servers, which would imply firewall rules on your gateway, or the
> machine itself.
# tcpdump -l -n -s 8192 -p "port 123"
tcpdump: listening on fxp0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 8182 bytes

0 packets captured
12 packets received by filter
0 packets dropped by kernel
^C
(after awaiting around 20secs then hits interrupt)

You are right, I didn't get any responses.
I have doubly checked. Firewall on my router/gateway is disabled, not active.
I have also tried disabling firewall on my machine.
It still doesn't work.
Actually I am not suspecting my /etc/ipfw.rules, which has been being used
for long since FreeBSD 5.4. ntpd has never encountered any problems for such
ipfw configuration with dial-up (both 5.4-RELEASE and 6.2-RELEASE).
(I also didn't forget to change interface name from dial-up to ethernet.)

> # find /usr/share/man/cat* -type f -exec rm -f {} \;
or
> # find /usr/share/man/cat* -type f -delete
I have tested it, I still get outdated man pages.
I even dive into /usr/src/share/man.
Man pages over there are all FreeBSD 6.2.
But some timestamps dated Feb 13, 2008; but footer is still FreeBSD 6.2

> And then enable weekly creation of the catman pages via the weekly
> periodic script, by placing this in /etc/periodic.conf:
>
> weekly_catman_enable="yes"
>
> You can also create those catman pages right now by setting the above
> variable in periodic.conf and doing the following:
>
> /etc/periodic/weekly/330.catman
>
> Keep something in mind, however: by enabling this, you're also prone to
> get a lot of nasty messages from groff/troff/nroff every week.  A lot of
> manpages are not 100% syntactically correct or compatible with the
> version of troff FreeBSD uses, so they emit warnings.
I want them to be compatible with the current version of FreeBSD.
So I will not use it, thanks.

> Finally, when you upgraded from 6.2 to 6.3, did you follow all of the
> instructions in /usr/src/Makefile perfectly?  See the 10-11 steps
> listed under "For individuals wanting to upgrade their sources...".
> I'm left wondering if you didn't do the mergemaster step.
No, but I perfectly followed instruction in handbook.

# cvsup -g -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
backup data and /etc
read /usr/src/UPDATING
# mergemaster -p
# shutdown now (drop to single user)
# fsck -p
# mount -u /
# mount -a -t ufs
# swapon -a
# adjkerntz -i

# cd /usr/obj
# chflags -R noschg *
# rm -rf *

# cd /usr/src
# make [-j4] buildworld
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=SMP
# make installkernel KERNCONF=SMP
# shutdown -r now (reboot the new kernel in single user mode)
# make installworld
# mergemaster
# shutdown -r now (reboot the new system)
# uname -a (show the new kernel)

And I also look in some forums.
I think that the procedure above is correct.
I also got many new man pages in /usr/src/share/man,
but as said all are 6.2 (with some new timestamps).
If so, archives in cvs repository (cvsup.th.freebsd.org) are probably outdated.
If I did anything wrong, please tell me.
Please note that I have been using FreeBSD since 5.0. But I ALWAYS install
new system from iso image. This is my first time updating from source.

And what about updating handbook?
# cvsup -g -L 2 /usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile
# cd /usr/doc (many dirs/files in here, like sgml files)
# make all install (or) make install
It just doesn't work.
I don't want to waste your time; it is also irrelevant to freebsd-stable.
Please just give me a brief hint.

Thanks,
Pongthep