make KNOBS

Chris H. chris# at 1command.com
Tue Feb 26 07:35:32 UTC 2008

Hello, and thank you for your reply.

Quoting Ruslan Ermilov <ru at freebsd.org>:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:55:22PM -0800, Chris H. wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> Maintaining a make.conf file can be a fairly daunting task within
>> itself. But when upgrading, it becomes even more laborious. Peeking
>> into the port Makefile to discover any /new/, or /changed/ knobs is
>> standard fare. But it's not always obvious exactly /what/ the
>> WITH_<this>, or WITHOUT_<that> actually provides.
>> To the point:
>> Is there, or does anyone maintain a KNOBS list possibly categorized
>> by application/port/version, etc...?
>>
>> If not, are there any resources that might help me facilitate one
>> online for myself and others to refer to?
>>

>> Thank you for all your time and consideration.
>>
> For src/, there is an src.conf(5) manpage that documents
> supported WITH_*/WITHOUT_* knobs.  For ports/, I'm not
> aware of such a list.

Indeed. I was aware of, and make much use of it. But am struggling
with finding the port(s) equivalent. If there isn't one, I'd be
more that happy to dedicate a domain/ web site solely to providing
this resource. Perhaps a wiki that I, and anyone else can add the
WITH_/WITHOUT_ options, along with descriptions of exactly /what/
they provide. Seems like a /real/ valuable, and /needed/ resource.

Thanks again for your response.

--Chris H

> Cheers,
> --