7.0 RC3 and usb problems

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Feb 25 23:59:25 UTC 2008

--On Tuesday, February 26, 2008 00:34:56 +0100 Ronald Klop
<ronald-freebsd8 at klop.yi.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:01:53 +0100, Paul Schmehl <pauls at utdallas.edu> wrote:
>

>> The only major problem I'm having is usb just doesn't work right at
>> all.  The system doesn't sense when I insert a new device, and I had to
>> enable moused to get the mouse working.  (But the usb keyboard works
>> fine.?!)
>>
>> When I insert a usb thumb drive into a slot, I don't see the usual
>> console messages, and there's no /dev/da?, so I'm not sure what to do
>> next.
>>
>> Maybe you can help with that?
>
> Did you kldload umass before inserting you usb drive?

No, but

[root at utd65257 ~]# kldload umass
kldload: can't load umass: File exists
[root at utd65257 ~]# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    9 0xc0400000 906518   kernel
 2    1 0xc0d07000 14324    snd_hda.ko
 3    2 0xc0d1c000 4a5ac    sound.ko
 4    1 0xc0d67000 6a32c    acpi.ko
 5    1 0xc70a5000 22000    linux.ko
[root at utd65257 ~]# kldunload umass
kldunload: can't find file umass

Doesn't make much sense to me.  I'm not very familiar with how the usb system
works, so I'm not sure where to look to find the problem.  There's no
/dev/umass either.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst