How to take down a system to the point of requiring a newfs with one line of C (userland)

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Mon Feb 18 14:15:07 UTC 2008

> Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this!
>
> Doctor: Don't do that...

Did you actually bother to read his report?

While his example is used "/", if the report is correct then you
just need to replace "/" with the path of any file system mount
point that is world writable like say "/tmp".

Do you have /tmp mounted like this?
/dev/ad0s4e    507630   162050   304970    35%    /tmp

Have you tried using "/tmp" or some other suitable mount point
before slinging off with the old Doctor joke?

Even if it is only "/", having the system die and not be recoverable
due to having a excessive number of files in "/" is a critical
error.  I'm sure you have *never* accidently copied a set of files
to "/" in your life.  Me, I know I've made that sort of mistake in
the past, and as I'm not perfect, I'm sure I'll make that sort of
mistake at some point in the future.  I would however like the
machine not to fallover when I do make that mistake.

Now why don't you be constructive and verify whether the report is
valid or not.  I don't have a spare machine to test it on so I'm
not going to attempt it.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC