7.0-RC2 package glitch

Wayne Chapeskie waynec at spinnaker.com
Sat Feb 16 23:37:52 UTC 2008

I maintain a cluster of FreeBSD machines, and for various reasons
tend to do clean installs or re-installs on my machines with each new
release.  As a result, I've been doing some testing involving clean
installs from the 7.0-RC* releases, and noticed a small glitch in the
initial package installation from sysinstall.  This shows up on the i386
RC2 disc 1, but probably also shows up on other platforms.  When doing
a clean install from disc 1, sysinstall gives you the option to install
the X Windows packages from disc 1 during a new installation.  The RC2
sysinstall misses six packages, which are included on disc 1, which
RC1 did install:
    imake-1.0.2_4,1
	makedepend-1.0.1,1
	gccmakedep-1.0.2
	xorg-cf-files-1.0.2_2
    xorg-nestserver-1.4,1
    xorg-vfbserver-1.4,1

Between RC1 and RC2, sysinstall was cleaned up to install X by using
the single top level xorg meta-package rather than the old method
of specifying a number of different meta-packages.  Unfortunately,
the xorg-7.3_1 package in 7.0-release does not pull in the above six
packages.  They were installed in RC1, and have in the past been
included in a full X install.  A fix for the next release would
probably involve adding devel/imake to the xorg port, and perhaps
defaulting to building with XORG_COMPLETE to pull in xorg-nestserver
and xorg-vfbserver.  For the 7.0 release, since the release packages
are already set, perhaps a temporary hack in sysinstall to add imake,
xorg-nestserver, and xorg-vfbserver would suffice.

A second very minor issue:  it would be nice if the mod times for the
packages on the RC2 (and 7.0 release) disks would match those on the
web 7.0-release package directory on the web site.  They matched in
RC1, and it makes it very clear to someone installing from the release
disks which packages are included.

(I wasn't sure whether installation release issues like this merited a
full-fledged PR).

--
Wayne Chapeskie