Rebuilding World Problems

Gavin Spomer spomerg at cwu.EDU
Wed Feb 13 19:56:40 UTC 2008

>>> Kevin Oberman <oberman at es.net> 02/12/08 7:01 PM >>>
> > make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> > make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> If you put KERNCONF into make.conf, you can simplify it to:
> make kernel

Just to be clear, if I add the appropriate KERNCONF line in /etc/make.conf, "make kernel" will take care of both "make buildkernel" AND "make installkernel"? (w/o the KERNCONF= part)

> > reboot (in single user mode)
> >
> > fsck -p (optional, but a good idea)
> A total waste of time, but I do it anyway since I am paranoid.
> adjkerntz -i

Like many good admins, I am paranoid too, so I will include this. :)

> This command has no impact if the hardware clock is set to UTC/GMT, but
> it is often not, especially if the system is dual boot with Windows.
> > mount -u /
> Since the next command does this, the is no need for this, even for the
> paranoid.
> > mount -a -t ufs
> > swapon -a (most cases; optional)
> >
> > cd /usr/src
> > mergemaster -p
> > make installworld
> > mergemaster
> While not in src/UPDATING, I always urge people to use the -iU options
> to save a LOT of time on future builds.

These options are for mergemaster I take it? I had another look at the man page for mergemaster and inspected these options, so this sounds good.