mount of ext2fs volume stuck in "D+" state (disk uninterruptible wait)

Joe Peterson joe at skyrush.com
Tue Feb 12 00:36:26 UTC 2008

I just tried (under FreeBSD 7.0-RC1) to mount an ext2fs volume - I've
mounted it before with no trouble on this same FreeBSD version.  This
time, mount appeared to hang.  I noticed that I can see the contents of
the volume under the mount point, so the mount seemed to "work", but the
process is stuff.  "ps" shows:

root   1307  0.0  0.0  3156   792  p6  D+    5:21PM   0:00.00 mount
/mnt/linux-home

The "ps" man page says that "D" means: "Marks a process in disk (or
other short term, uninterruptible) wait."

Is there any way I can investigate what is going on?  I cannot umount
(device busy) or break out of the mount command...

					Thanks, Joe