RELENG_7: interrupt eating whole cpu core

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Fri Feb 8 14:36:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 03:23:33PM +0100, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> Carlos A. M. dos Santos wrote:
> >On Feb 8, 2008 4:27 AM, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze at bsdforen.de> wrote:
> >>I put the following into my rc.conf:
> >># Set mode for CD/DVD drive.
> >>/sbin/atacontrol mode acd0 2>&1 | /usr/bin/grep PIO > /dev/null 2>&1 \
> >>        && /sbin/atacontrol mode acd0 UDMA33
> >
> >Do not put this in rc.conf. It will be executed again each time a
> >script in /etc/rc.d source rc.conf to obtain the configuration
> >variables.
>
> Hence the check, weather the drive is in PIO mode or not. The way I
> understand the rc(8) manual page, the same is true for rc.local.

As I learned some years ago, rc.conf is for configuration
variable-setting, not executable code.  Ref. (from rc.conf(5)):

DESCRIPTION
     The file rc.conf contains descriptive information about the local host
     name, configuration details for any potential network interfaces and
     which services should be started up at system initial boot time....

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/* generally contains executable code, though.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
I submit that "conspiracy" would be an appropriate collective noun for cats.