X.org: Fatal server error

Harald Weis hawei at free.fr
Thu Feb 7 13:04:37 UTC 2008

Hello All,

*** Fatal server error:
*** could not open default font 'fixed'

This is the message (without the stars) I get on a laptop after
a fresh install of FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE i386 (previously 6.0).

Searching the archives, I found two reasons which do not apply for me:

1. xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps-7.2 is properly installed
2. the same is true for font-alias-1.0.1

A good reason in my case seems to be: all fonts.dir files are empty.

Running ``mkfontdir [-e encodings/] misc/''  creates always an empty
fonts.dir file, but with the '-e' option a correct encodings.dir file.

Conclusion: mkfontdir appears to be broken, or rather mkfontscale as
the former is just a single-line shell script.

xorg-7.2, xorg-fonts-7.2 and all the rest are properly installed.
The instructions of the 20070519-section in UPDATING have successfully
been executed.

Fortunately, lynx and elinks work alright.

Needless to say that I've  portupgrade'd both mkfontdir and mkfontscale
with the '-f' option, and that my ports tree is portsnap'ed up-to-date.

What else could I do to find the bug ?

Thanks in advance,
Harald