synaptics problem

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Thu Feb 7 07:22:58 UTC 2008

Matthieu Bollot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently installed FreeBSD 6.3, and I've got a problem with
> synaptics.
> I've installed it, followed the pkg-message :
> hw.psm.synaptics_support=1
>
> It works, dmesg gives :
> psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0
> psm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> psm0: model Synaptics Touchpad, device ID 0
>
> moused_enable="NO"
> ps shows me that moused doesn't run.
>
> xorg.conf :
> InputDevice     "Synaptics_Touchpad"    "CorePointer"
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Synaptics_Touchpad"
>         Driver          "synaptics"
>         Option          "Device"                "/dev/psm0"
>         Option          "Protocol"              "psm"
>
> And here is a part of Xorg.log :
> (WW) <default pointer>: No Device specified, looking for one...
> (II) <default pointer>: Setting Device option to "/dev/psm0"
> (--) <default pointer>: Device: "/dev/psm0"
> (==) <default pointer>: Protocol: "Auto"
> Synaptics DeviceInit called
> SynapticsCtrl called.
> (II) <default pointer>: SetupAuto: hw.iftype is 3, hw.model is 13
> (II) <default pointer>: SetupAuto: protocol is SysMouse
> (WW) fcntl(15, O_ASYNC): Inappropriate ioctl for device
> Synaptics DeviceOn called
> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psm0
> 	Device busy.
> (WW) Synaptics_Touchpad: cannot open input device
> couldn't enable device 3
>
> Protocol isn't psm, why ? Can I force it ?
> /dev/psm0 isn't used or it is used by Xorg (I saw it with fstat)
>
> any idea ? I didn't had this problem with 6.2 but may be I wasn't up to
> date with xorg.

I think protocol has to stay auto. Is it possible that your Xorg.conf has more
device sections? One of which already uses /dev/psm0?

PS: On my new system the touchpad is recognized as an Intellimouse Explorer,
no matter weather I set hw.psm.synaptics_support=1 or not. The Xorg synaptics
driver rejects it, however, vertical scrolling works out of the box, even
using moused.