Reconstruct disklabel for UFS and GELI volumes

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Thu Feb 7 00:05:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 21:04:23 +0100
Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein at gmail.com> wrote:

> There were three labels
Actually, it is one label per slice, unless you are doing something
unusual?

> - ad0s4a: UFS, exact size unknown. Is it possible to infer this from
> the UFS partition size? I can mount this already, as I simply wrote an
> 'a' label of maximum size to the disklabel
> - ad0s4b: GELI encrypted swap
> - ad0s4d: GELI encrypted ZVOL

These are partitions in BSD-speak.

> Any help or advice would be highly appreciated!

FWIW, I have had success with scan_ffs[1] as documented in this short
article[2]. It will recover lost labels, or at least try to.
If you are downloading binary packages from somewhere, be sure to
double check that you get the one that fits your platform (i386 / amd64
or whatever) and version.
Take it slowly, and double check all steps before comitting anything.

Good luck!