gjournal panic 7.0-RC1

Michael Butler imb at protected-networks.net
Sun Feb 3 21:45:55 UTC 2008

Chris wrote:

> If the only advantage of journaling is to avoid slow fsck's then I may
> decide I can live without it, the real attraction to me was been able
> to use the much glamorised async which is what made me so shocked when
> write speeds were low.

If I understood this thread correctly, the impression of poor
performance is based on a configuration where both the journal and the
data are on the same physical drive. Intuitively, this will likely
penalize any transaction on the volume, read or write, since you're
asking the drive to not only accumulate a queue of information to the
journal in one region of the disk but also to flush that data in "idle
time" to a region in the data space on that same disk at a significant
seek-length away.

I would think that journaling on one drive and storing the resultant
data-set on another would improve performance enormously (reduced
seek-lengths) and more so if they were 1) high-rpm drives (less
rotational latency) and 2) on different buses (no bus/controller
contention),

	Michael