7.0-PRE/amd64 crash with Promise TX4 and eSATA disk

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Sun Feb 3 14:18:24 UTC 2008

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, Kostik Belousov wrote:

KB> > (kgdb) p *vp
KB> > $2 = {v_type = VDIR, v_tag = 0xffffffff8039319c "ufs", v_op =
KB> > 0xffffffff804e98e0, v_data = 0xffffff003fab0480, v_mount = 0xffffff00050dc650,
KB> The *v_mount and *(struct ufs_mount *)(v_mount->mnt_data) content shall
KB> be enough to confirm that vnode comes from the lost partition.

sure:

f_mntfromname = "/dev/ad14a",
f_mntonname = "/media/esata",

but I was sure it was from there.

KB> > I think tere are at least two problems here:
KB> > - panic when non-essential UFS mounted partition disappears
KB> Unfortunately, FreeBSD has no concept of the unessential mount; I wish
KB> the mount option onerror=nopanic too :).

What disturbs me even more - mount was read-only.  I can understand the
"panic when some unwritten data may be lost" approach, but on read-only...

KB> > - particular disappearing eSATA drive from eSATA channel of TX4. Relevant error
KB> > messages are
KB> This looks more like the hardware problem, and it only induced the known
KB> kernel deficiency.

That's why I put Soeren on CC list ;)

Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]