Kernel not mounting root

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Sun Dec 21 01:55:08 PST 2008

Marius Nünnerich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I did cvsup to 7-STABLE yesterday, build, installed and booted a new
> kernel then buildworld.
> Then I noticed that my PS/2 keyboard is not working at the loader menu
> so I booted multiuser and did the make installworld part from there.
> Then I tried to reboot but now it hangs after the line
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
>
> It sits there for at least 10min. I tried so far:
> - Installing 7.1-beta2 on another hd and booting it, it works.
> - Copied that kernel to the old hd
> - Moved kernel.old to kernel
> - fsck everything
> - mounted everything from the old hd under /mnt, chroot into that, installworld
>
> Anyone else seeing this or has an idea what to do next?
>
> Kind regards
> Marius

I encountered something similar with RC-1, yesterday. The installer entered
the devices ad4s4a till ad4s4f instead of ad4s3a till ad4s3f into the fstab
file.

The annoying problem that you need to mount /usr to run /rescue/vi, because
it needs a file from /usr/share is also still present. This makes /rescue/vi
nearly useless in my opinion and honestly, ee is really awkward to use.

Regards