FreeBSD 7.1-RC1 Available...

Aragon Gouveia aragon at phat.za.net
Thu Dec 18 08:38:25 PST 2008

Hi,

| By Ken Smith <kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU>
|                                          [ 2008-12-10 04:40 +0200 ]
> In addition to general testing we're looking for information about
> potential problems with the boot loader.  There has been traffic here
> about problems but the reports haven't helped narrow down the causes
> yet.  So far it seems to be related to USB keyboards and at least so far
> systems with more than one processor in them.  More data points like
> cases where a USB keyboard was not involved as well as if possible
> things like which motherboard it is might help us narrow down the cause.
> Testing on a variety of motherboards, of varying ages and manufacturers
> would help.

I have been experiencing problems with loader(8) on my system.  Essentially
it freezes the system if "too much" keyboard input is given.  Please see
these posts for more background:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-October/046176.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-October/046189.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-November/046337.html

I've just tested booting up with an i386 RC1 disc and the problem is still
there.

My motherboard is an Intel DG33BU.

Regards,
Aragon