7.1-PRERELEASE: arcmsr write performance problem

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Thu Dec 18 02:00:33 PST 2008

Just to confirm we see something similar on the box which runs our stats.

We have updated from 5.4 -> 6.0 -> 6.2 -> 7.0 all have had no effect on
the lockups which happen when the stats run.

This box is also on an areca controller but it was on an Adaptec and we
saw pretty much the same thing so I suspect its not related to the
controller more to the way things are read from and flushed to disk.

When we see this problem any ssh sessions become totally unresponsive.

The stats we are running are a combination of rrdtool updates from a
mysql DB and rrdtool backed mrtg for network stats.

This is very reproducible here as it "stalls" the box every few mins
when the stats kick off so if there needs to be more investigation
we should be able to help.

    Regards
    Steve