Proper use of LD_LIBRARY_PATH for Linux progs?

Sat Dec 13 12:26:54 PST 2008

Quoting Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> (from Sat, 13
Dec 2008 21:11:15 +0100):

> Quoting Bengt Ahlgren <bengta at sics.se> (from Fri, 12 Dec 2008
> 13:37:25 +0100):
>
>> The reason is that the acroread launch script sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>> which is propagated to its childs.  See this PR:
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/129553
>
>> Question 2: what is the "proper" way to fix this problem?
>> (specifically for acroread8, but also in general.)
>
> Search the archive for the ports mailinglist, in the mail
> "print/acroread8: LD_LIBRARY_PATH breaks helper programs" is a fix
> for the problem.

ROTFL... this mail on ports@ is from you... :-)

I suggest to contact the port maintainer with the fix. If he doesn't
answer, send a PR. As soon as someone (maintainer / other committer in
the PR case) has time and motivation, the fix will get committed.

Bye,
Alexander (ENOTIME ATM, else I would have taken care about this already).

--
Gordon's first law:
	If a research project is not worth doing, it is not worth doing