lagg(4) and failover

Brian A. Seklecki bseklecki at collaborativefusion.com
Fri Dec 5 04:34:23 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 22:03 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> >Thats unfortunate...
>
> I tend to agree.
>
> >bonding in Linux is capable of doing this and solaris too.

Well ... name a price for the development; HA L1/L2 is a feature the
community would gladly sponsor the development of.

Also, Peter, you should put a page up on the FreeBSD wiki with some of
those multi-catalyst LACP IOS config examples.

Maybe write an article for BSDMag.

I always just counted that idea out (LACP against two switches) since
LACP doesn't have any inter-component transport protocol a la pfsync(4).

But if the backplanes of Cat 37xx`s can be merged at a lower level, then
then yea, fuck.  Lets have it.

~BAS

P.S., in my experience, system level redundancy/HA with a load balancer
is almost always less expensive then excessive component-level
redundancy/ha (RAID Disk, RAID RAM, Dual Power Supplies, Dual
Backplanes...)

--
Brian A. Seklecki <bseklecki at collaborativefusion.com>
Collaborative Fusion, Inc.