ichwd problem: watchdog doesn't "bark"

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Fri Dec 5 02:04:57 PST 2008

Andriy Gapon <avg at icyb.net.ua> writes:
> When I start watchdogd I see the following messages:
> timer enabled
> timeout set to 28 ticks
> and then a flow of messages:
> timer reloaded
>
> Then I kill -9 watchdogd.
> "timer reloded" messages are no longer produced.
> And there are no other messages.
>
> But nothing happens for many minutes that I waited.

The watchdog may be disabled, either in hardware or by the BIOS at boot
time, but the driver should have detected that.  It is also possible
that the BIOS catches the SMI but ignores it.

> BTW, can someone knowledgeable tell me if watchdog better be firing SMI
> or NMI when it runs down?

It should fire SMI, IIRC.  Read the comments at the top of the code for
references to the relevant Intel documentation, which you can download
for free.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no