confirming bugs is bad behavior, etc.

Jo Rhett jrhett at netconsonance.com
Mon Dec 1 12:28:05 PST 2008

On Dec 1, 2008, at 11:59 AM, George V. Neville-Neil wrote:
> I have mostly stayed away from these threads because they've often
> devolved into unproductive finger pointing.
>
> Please leave the hyperbole out of your posts, or at least attempt to
> cut it back.  People on these lists are working quite hard to solve
> problems for the whole of the FreeBSD community and your posts, such
> as this one, are not helping us to move forward.

My posts have always been directed at solving very real, operational
problems with using FreeBSD on server platforms, which is exactly the
stated goal for freebsd.  I have always offered not only problems, but
resources to help test or evaluate the issues, and serious
considerations for ways to improve the process.

Yes, you're right.  Threads I start about real problems always devolve
into unproductive finger pointing.  That would be the freebsd
developers attacking the reporter for identifying a real, operational
problem.  Take a look at the posts of the FreeBSD developers, and view
for yourself the unprofessional attacks and personal insults hurled by
them at people who are simply trying to get real problems resolved.

And yet, instead of asking your developers to stop violating the
posted rules of the mailing list, you are asking a bug reporter who
simply informed another bug reporter that their problem was both
widespread and not limited to USB devices to stop posting to the
list.  Because god knows that "yes we saw it too and it's widely
reported" is bad behavior.  Much worse that personal attacks which are
strictly against the list rules.

Yes, I'm sure that the personal attacks really do help drive freebsd
development forward.  Much more so than me bringing resources and
actually testing things does.

Now that Core has clearly spoken their mind on this issue, by refusing
to ask freebsd developers to avoid violating the list charter and then
publicly calling out someone for just saying "yeah, it's a widely
reported problem" ... leaves any doubt that positive change is going
to happen here.

Your request is accepted.  I'm unsubscribing now.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness