Possible ZFS patch, please test!

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 30 20:00:22 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 09:28:36PM +0200, Henri Hennebert wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
>> This patch merges a few changes from HEAD back to 7.x.  I think the
>> endian changes specifically might solve the issue people saw with
>> zpools created with non-dtrace kernels not being readable by dtrace
>> kernels and vice versa.
>>
>> http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/zfs_7.patch
>>
> Just a follow-up
>
> I cvsup at Sat Aug 30 12:55 without zfs_7.patch and
>
> make buildworld && make buildkernel && make installkernel
>
> reboot (-s) --root on zfs is ok -- make installworld
>
> reboot
>
> System is still sluggish even during the make installworld in single user.

Sorry if I've missed this, but what tuning have you done for ZFS?  Some
of us (most of us?) have seen fairly "sluggish" performance when
prefetch is enabled (the default), while the system is generally more
responsive when prefetch is disabled.

This may have nothing to do with the problem you've stated, but I
thought I'd throw it out there.