changing a ports final destination via make knobs question...

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Aug 26 21:26:35 UTC 2008

Hi--

On Aug 26, 2008, at 12:42 PM, chris#@1command.com wrote:
> Given that the folks at PHP have decided that no one is allowed
> to use PHP4 any longer. I've decided to *attempt* to install a copy
> of PHP5 (cgi only) along side my already installed/configured, and
> in use copy of PHP4 (apache_module, CLI, & CGI).
[ ... ]

> *Any* help/advice would be *GREATLY* appreciated.

You might consider doing your builds and testing on another machine
entirely, to avoid disrupting a system which is in use.

Another option to consider is using a chroot'ed environment or jail
using $DESTDIR (cf /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.destdir.mk).  Finally, if neither
of the previous seems to suit, then you can change where ports are
installed by adjusting $LOCALBASE.

Regards,
--
-Chuck