machine hangs on occasion - correlated with ssh break-in attempts

Neil Neely neil at neely.cx
Thu Aug 21 20:00:19 UTC 2008

I haven't explored this issue enough to speak with any authority - but
once upon a time I had an app doing tons of ipfw rule add/removes all
the time and we had no end of performance and stability problems on
that box (this would have been in 4.x or so timeline I expect).  As
that approach wasn't really critical we abandoned it without really
digging into the details.

Years later a need for lots of rapid firewall changes came up again
and I drilled into it and found the use of tables was excellent for
doing this and it does the job very well.  This is approach is on a
FreeBSD 6.3 box.

ipfw add 00550 deny ip from 'table(1)' to any

Then just add remove entries to table 1 via:
ipfw table 1 add 10.1.1.22/32
ipfw table 1 delete 10.1.1.22/32

show all entries in table 1 with:
ipfw table 1 list

Clear out the whole of table 1
ipfw table 1 flush

I can't be sure if this relates to your particular issue, but I would
recommend trying it out.

Neil Neely
http://neil-neely.blogspot.com