ICH9 Controller on Asus P5K-E showing up as "Intel AHCI controller"

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Aug 18 16:16:03 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 11:47:25AM -0400, Josh Carroll wrote:
> It's not really a problem, as the device and the SATA hard drives and
> DVD+RW attached to the bus operate properly, but I'm wondering why the
> ICH9 controller (in AHCI mode) on the Asus P5K-E motherboard shows up
> as:
>
> atapci1: <Intel AHCI controller> port
> 0xac00-0xac07,0xa880-0xa883,0xa800-0xa807,0xa480-0xa483,0xa400-0xa41f
> mem 0xfbffe800-0xfbffefff irq 22 at device 31.2 on pci0

Because your motherboard allows for the enabling of AHCI on the ICH9.
This is often a BIOS feature you can turn on/off.

> Just wondering why it is not properly detecting this as ICH9. Again,
> just something cosmetic that I'm curious about. I'm going to double
> check the BIOS settings now, but I am confident I have them set as
> AHCI in the BIOS. I suppose this could be a BIOS bug of some sort. I
> can also try upgrading to the latest BIOS.

I don't believe it's a bug.  FreeBSD has a form of "generic AHCI"
support, where for systems which indicate AHCI is available but has no
direct AHCI chipset driver, will fall back to using a generic AHCI
implementation that should work with most all AHCI implementations.

I would say what you're seeing is good.  AHCI == good.