Removing /usr/lib32 on AMD64

Morgan Wesström freebsd-stable at pp.dyndns.biz
Thu Aug 14 08:34:30 UTC 2008

Thanks for your answer Jeremy :-)

> What you've documented above is the Correct Way(tm) to remove lib32
> support.  Though I advocate people not install it in the first place,
> unless they absolutely need it.

I'm not sure I was ever given the option to deselect it during
sysinstall. I don't rememeber any obvious question at least and
/etc/src.conf did not exist efter install.

> The message from /etc/rc.d/ldconfig you see there about 32-bit
> compatibility ldconfig path is fine -- it shows an empty path, which is
> correct.  Nothing to worry about there.

There are references in ldconfig to a couple of options I find in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf

ldconfig32_paths="/usr/lib32" # 32-bit compatibility shared library
ldconfig_local32_dirs="/usr/local/libdata/ldconfig32"

Should I blank those? /usr/local/libdata/ldconfig32 is an empty folder here.

There's also a /libexec/ld-elf32.so.1 left, with the same old date as
the libs, and a symlink from /usr/libexec/ld-elf32.so.1 pointing to it.
Should I leave them or remove them? They were not mentioned in the diff
in the bugreport.

/Morgan