em(4) on FreeBSD is sometimes annoying

Markus Vervier markus at vervier.info
Wed Aug 13 10:05:02 UTC 2008

Jack Vogel wrote:

>  I didn't mean the NIC EEPROM, but the system BIOS, make sure you are
>  running the version that Jeremy said he was, if that matches you might go
>  look at settings in the BIOS that are about management.

I'm now running the latest BIOS for my X60 version 2.22 with the same
results. Jeremy runs version 1.15 but on a T60.
>  I thought you told us that when you had a back to back connection that it
>  worked, no??
Sorry, it does not work when having a b2b connection, never said that.
But I noticed another thing:

It is important that the device was up without a cable connected:

1. power off completely
2. boot freebsd without a cable connected
3. in a rootshell do ifconfig em0 up
4. connect the cable
5. no link

--