sysinstall compilation issue

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Aug 13 09:28:54 UTC 2008

Hello,

Unga wrote:
 > > Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:

 > > > Yes, that's the cause.  Why did you do that?
 > > >
 > > > FreeBSD's ncurses port contains a patch so the
 > > > tgetent() function (which is used by rtermcap)
 > > > returns the actual termcap entry in the buffer.
 > > > The original ncurses code (which is terminfo-
 > > > based) doesn't do that.
 > > >
 > > > When you linked rtermcap with the wrong library,
 > > > you restored the original behaviour of tgetent(),
 > > > so the output of rtermcap was empty, so file2c
 > > > produced invalid source.
 > >
 > > Sorry for my late reply on this. I was not well during
 > > weekend, an eye ache due to over work :(

Sorry to hear that.  I hope you're better now.

 > > Here is the situation at my end, no matter whether I link
 > > with ncurses widec libs or non-widec libs, its still return
 > > the same code as above I mentioned.
 > >
 > > Possible causes can be:
 > > 1. The way I compile and install ncurses is not correct.
 > > 2. OR some essential files required are missing
 > > 3. OR there can be an other option

Maybe my first response wasn't clear enough.  So let
me explain it again:  To compile sysinstall correctly
you must use the standard ncurses library from the
base system.  Anything else WILL NOT WORK.

I already explained the reason for that in detail in
my previous response (quoted above).

 > So the question is, do ncurses and ncurses-devel ports
 > do the same thing as ncurses in base system for the
 > following statement?
 > TERMCAP=/usr/src/usr.sbin/sysinstall/../../share/termcap/termcap.src ./rtermcap ansi |  file2c 'const char termcap_ansi[] = {' ',0};'  >> makedevs.c

No, they don't do the same thing.  You could have
saved yourself some time if you had read my first
response more carefully.

Best regards
   Oliver

$ dd if=/dev/urandom of=test.pl count=1