Hardware monitoring for Intel Atom D945GCLF.

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 12 21:57:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:38:11PM +0200, Eugene Butusov wrote:
> Jeremy Chadwick pisze:
>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 04:45:47PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
>>> I don't need an API, but this kind of statement makes Intel sound like
>>> they're not willing to disclose the SMBus offsets for monitoring.  I
>>> might have to look at lm-sensors from Linux, but that code is very
>>> difficult to follow.  I'm not sure if Intel gives this sort of
>>> information out publicly, but I sure hope so.
>>
>> There's a web page mentioning this board (note: entirely Japanese) --
>>
>> http://iktaka.dyndns.org/node/11
>>
>> The bottom part of the page states that Linux's lm_sensors 3.0.2 can
>> successfully monitor temperatures, voltages, and fan RPMs on that board,
>> very likely via SMBus.
>>
>> Ideally I should be able to track down technical details by looking at
>> that code.  I'd feel much more comfortable asking Intel and having them
>> provide necessary registers and offsets, though; I prefer to avoid
>> reverse-engineering things if possible (less mistakes).
>>

> Thanks for the reply. Looks like there is no tool for FreeBSD which
> supports ICH7 currently. mbmon has support for ICH6, but I'm not sure is
> it still alive.

You have to understand, it's hard for a program to say it "supports a
chipset" unless that specific chipset is doing the H/W monitoring.  For
example, lots of Supermicro boards use Winbond H/W monitoring ICs, but
you can interface with the chip via SMBus.  The chipsets on those boards
are Intel ICHx (ICH7 through 9), but the ICHx doesn't do the monitoring.

I'm not sure the ICHx chips can actually do monitoring natively; I
haven't looked at the specifications.  If they do, that may be what
mbmon is talking about -- otherwise, it might just be a vague
description that more or less says "works with Intel ICHx chipsets that
support SMBus".  Hard to explain really...

> What about your project, are you planing to release it to the public
> in nearest future?

Once I get a couple more Supermicro boards added, yep.  The code is rock
solid at this point in time[1], but there's still a lot to be done before I
consider it worthy of public release.

Remaining items on my TODO list for bsdhwmon:

* Poke individuals testing software for further updates (many have
  been quiet since the last tarball)
* Write manpage
* Update README, and INSTALL (if necessary)
* Update Makefile to be FreeBSD ports-friendly, and general cleanup
* Make a FreeBSD port for the software

These are things I myself have to do.  I'm sorry I don't have an ETR for
you -- I really wish I did.

[1]: No crashes/segfaults, and compiles cleanly with -Werror -Wall
-Wunused -Waggregate-return -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-align
-Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wdisabled-optimization -Wfloat-equal
-Winline -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs
-Wold-style-definition -Wpacked -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls
-Wsign-compare -Wstrict-prototypes -Wunreachable-code -Wwrite-strings

I'm one of those "warnings should be taken seriously" individuals.
:-)