should looking at an interface with 'ifconfig' trigger a change ?

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Mon Aug 11 13:03:34 UTC 2008

Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Try attached patch and check whether bce(4) correctly reports link
> state changes.
>
> After seeing 'link state changed to UP' message, unplug the cable
> and see whether it reports link DOWN. The message should be printed
> in a second. Also try replugging cable and you should see link UP
> message within several seconds. Since auto-negotation takes more
> time you may have to wait for a while.

I do not have phsyical access to the machine, so I did this using
a sutdown of the interface on the sitch - but yes, it works! This fixes
the progem with lagg as well - it now fails over to the other interface
properly.

Such a simple patch - if this has no ill effects then I will deploy it
on al our servers,m and hope for it to be committed soon. All new HP
servers appear to come with bce interfaces, so this is an importnat fix
for us, and probably a lot of other people too. Thanks.

-pete.