Fwd: IMPORTANT! Network is unreachable

KES kes-kes at yandex.ru
Sat Aug 9 13:23:43 UTC 2008

09.08.08, 16:22, "Matthew Seaman" <m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk>:

> Andrew Snow wrote:
> >
> > Usually if there is more than IP in a given subnet on an interface, you
> > give it a /32 netmask.  Only the first IP in a subnet should have the
> > full netmask.
> >
> > So your example should look like this:
> >

> >     inet 10.11.16.14 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.11.16.255
> >     inet 10.11.16.9 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 10.11.16.9
> /32 netmasks for 2nd and subsequent IP alias addresses used to be
> mandatory and are arguably more correct, but nowadays you can use
> the actual netmask for the network instead.  Was fixed a year or
> two ago.  It's a wetware compatibility thing -- other unixoid OSes
> never had the /32 netmask requirement, and it kept tripping people up
> when swapping between OSes.
> Unfortunately I can't say exactly what the problem the OP is experiencing
> is due to, but the way routes are appearing and disappearing on a 5
> minute timescale does suggest dynamic routing problems to me.  As a
> work-around, if the OP wanted to override the information routed gets
> from the network, then he could use /etc/gateways to have the local
> routed append some static routes to the routing table -- see routed(8)
> for the gory  details.  Losing a route for a directly attached network
> looks like a bug to me though.
> 	Cheers,
> 	Matthew

> >     inet 10.11.16.14 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.11.16.255
> >     inet 10.11.16.9 netmask 0xffffffff broadcast 10.11.16.9
/24 mask on each IPs on same interfaces is working fine on FreeBSD 6.3
So I do not think that problem is with the network mask. Because of even ping 10.11.16.14
returns network is unreachable!
Now when I upgraded to v7 I see trouble described earlier.
So this is must be counted as BUG of v7

5min period is seen without routed.
With routed I get next picture:
start routed: network is unreachable
stop routed: network still unreacheable
start routed: network is reachable
stop routed: network is reacheable
start routed: network is unreachable again

The thing which is very interesting is:
Why period is 5 min?