Upgrading from 6.x to 7.x

Vincent Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 09:46:34 UTC 2008

Warren Liddell wrote:
>> no for versions of FreeBSD beyond 6.3 its in base and you dont need to
>> install it seperately to upgrade between versions.
>> freebsd-update -r 7.1-RELEASE upgrade
>> seems to have an effect where 7.0-RELEASE no longer does. I have CCed
>> freebsd-stable@ on this to see if anyone knows if this is intended or a
>> mistake.
>>

>> Vince
>>

> # freebsd-update -r 7.1-RELEASE upgrade
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 1 mirrors found.
> Fetching public key from update1.FreeBSD.org... failed.
> No mirrors remaining, giving up.
>
> The getting of the public key seems to be the issue no matter how i go about
> trying to upgrade .. so my question now is, why is this and are there other
> mirror sites that can be used ?
>
> Below is my Uname -a output if it has any relevance..
>
> FreeBSD  6.3-STABLE FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE #11: Thu Aug  7 17:32:22 EST 2008
> shinjii@:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

No idea if the fact you are on a -STABLE branch will matter (it could
well, the box I tried to use the 7.0-RELEASE tag on was a -STABLE box
too,) but  my test seems to get different results to yours.
Possibly an issue with the freebsd-update servers/mirrors? more likely
that it doesnt support upgrading from an arbitrary point in the -STABLE
tree.

10:05:58 </usr/src/sys/i386/compile/LOBSTER>) 0 # freebsd-update -r
7.1-RELEASE upgrade
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 1 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 7.0-RELEASE from update1.FreeBSD.org...
done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.

The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
kernel/generic src/base src/bin src/contrib src/crypto src/etc src/games
src/gnu src/include src/krb5 src/lib src/libexec src/release src/rescue
src/sbin src/secure src/share src/sys src/tools src/ubin src/usbin
world/base world/catpages world/dict world/games world/info
world/manpages world/proflibs

The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
src/cddl src/compat world/doc

Does this look reasonable (y/n)? n
(10:06:53 </usr/src/sys/i386/compile/LOBSTER>) 0 # uname -a
FreeBSD lobster.unsane.co.uk 7.0-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p2 #0:
Wed Jun 18 07:33:20 UTC 2008
root at i386-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

I would upgrade to a -RELEASE branch from source then try again.

Vince