should looking at an interface with 'ifconfig' trigger a change ?

Pete French petefrench at ticketswitch.com
Thu Aug 7 16:27:55 UTC 2008

I have a very odd problem here - two interfaces bundled using lagg
in 'failover' mode, so one interface is active and the other not being
used. if the carrier drops on the active one I expect it to
failover, but it doesnt.

...until I type 'ifconfig bce0' to look at the status of the interface
which has gone down. At which point it fails over properly!

This is most odd - how can simply looking at the config of an
interface trigger the failover ? It wont fail over otherwise either - you
can leave it as long as you like and lagg wont realise that the active
has gone down.

The interfaces here are 'bce' by the way, if that make a difference....

-pete.