i386 vs amd64?

Milan Obuch freebsd-stable at dino.sk
Thu Aug 7 09:45:05 UTC 2008

On Thursday 07 August 2008, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 12:58:06AM -0700, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:

[ snip ]

> But be aware that there still are some applications (ports) which don't
> behave correctly on amd64.  So my recommendation is to build a test
> box that mimics your production environment, and make sure all of your
> stuff works on it.

This means you should do some work before actually deciding the way to go...
but it's the best way. Test and then use in production. Your own experience
is worth an added bit of work.

[ snip ]

> 5) Get familiar with mergemaster, specifically the side-by-side
> interactive diff feature.  It looks scary the first time around,
> but once you learn that "r" applies the stuff you see on the right,
> and "l" applies the stuff you see on the left, you should be fine.

Funny observation: "r" is on LEFT keyboard side, "l" is on RIGHT keyboard
side. I for one have problem at times precisely for this reason, but I know
this is an important step and one need to act with great care.

Regards,
Milan