MFC Candidate: convert ffs_softdep.c over to callout(9)

Coleman Kane cokane at cokane.org
Mon Apr 28 21:35:06 UTC 2008

Ilya Bakulin spake thusly:

> Hi,
> I have an ability to test this patch on RELENG_7 system (there is no mission-critical data stored on HDD :-) )
> What sould I do? Just apply patch, recompile kernel and produce some disk load on that system?
>
> > Hi stable users,
> >
> > Recently I committed revision 1.219 of src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_softdep.c to
> > remove the use of old-style timeout(9) calls in the softdep code and
> > replace them with the new callout(9) API, to further MPSAFE-ness of the
> > softdep code.
> >
> > I am attaching a patch to RELENG_7 that I'd like some people to test,
> > which is just an MFC of this code. Can I get any testers (so that I can
> > MFC this)?

Ilya,

Yes just go ahead and apply the patch that was attached. Then rebuild
your kernel. Make sure that your softupdates are enabled on the UFS
partition(s).

Then try hammering it with some sort of file test on that partition
(e.g. unpack a somewhat large source tarball and try building it).

The kernel did build fine for me when I built it. Unfortunately, due to
my hardware, RELENG_7 doesn't "just work" for me from vanilla sources,
so I'd like to see some testers on better "supported" hardware.

--
Coleman Kane