g_vfs_done error third part--PLEASE HELP!

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 21 20:10:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 09:04:03PM +0200, Willy Offermans wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD friends,
>
> It is already the third time that I report this error. Can someone help
> me in solving this issue?

Probably the reason that you hear so little is that you provide so
little information. Most of us are not clairvoyant.

> Over and over again and always after heavy disk I/O I see the following
> errors in the log files. If I force ar0s1g to unmount the machine
> spontaneously reboots. Nothing seriously seems to be damaged by this
> act, but anyway I cannot afford something bad happening to this
> production machine.

Why would you force an unmount?

> Apr 18 20:02:19 sun kernel: g_vfs_done():ar0s1g[WRITE(offset=290725068800, length=4096)]error = 5
>
> I have no clue what the errors mean, since offsets of 290725068800,
> 290725072896, and 290725074944 seem to be ridiculous. Does anybody
> have a clue what is going on?

For starters, how big is ar0s1g? If the offset is in bytes, it is around
270 GB, which is not that unusual in this day and age.

> I'm using FreeBSD 7.0, but found the error being reported before with
> previous versions of FreeBSD. I can and will provide more details on
> demand.

What does 'df' say?

Did you notice any file corruption in the filesystem on ar0s1g?

Unmount the filesystem and run fsck(8) on it. Does it report any errors?

> Any hints are very much appreciated.

Did you manage to create a partition larger than the disk is (using
newfs's -s switch)? In that case it could be that you're trying to write
past the end of the device.

Roland