panic: ffs_truncate: readonly filesystem

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 11:28:46 UTC 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 07:10:44PM -0400, Mikhail T. wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I tried, accidentally, to save a video-file (via firewire) to a
> read-only location.
>
> The entire system paniced with the message in subject. Why did it
> happen?
Because the kernel has a bug ? As is, the report is useless. Please, do
not hesitate to provide at least the backtrace.

The ufs_setattr() seems to properly check for ro mounts, as well as the
direct callers of the UFS_TRUNCATE() function.

Besides the possible logic error, the other possibility is the concurrent
remount. Could it be that you actually remounted the fs readonly during
the write ?