[SO]HO Software RAID5 server: which implementation should I choice?

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sun Apr 20 19:18:24 UTC 2008

Arnaud Houdelette wrote:

[...]

> Geom_raid5 is (unfortunatly ?) not part of Freebsd base.
> You'll have to download and install the module and utility binaries and
> follow the (simple) instructions from this website :
> http://home.tiscali.de/cmdr_faako/graid5-howto.html
>
> In the meantime, somebody convinced me to give zfs a try, I backed up my
> data, converted the raid array to raidz pool and I must say I'm not
> disappointed.
> + Read performance (~160 Mo/s)
> + Instant snapshots
> + zfs filesystems goodness
> + better support from the community
> - Stability issues : zfs and kernel need to be tuned
> - Drive crash scenario may be a bit more complex

Do you have any stability issues after tuning? What settings you are using?
I am testing ZFS for a short time with these values:
vm.kmem_size="1024M"
vm.kmem_size_max="1024M"
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable="1"
kern.maxvnodes="400000"
vfs.zfs.zil_disable="1"

(on Sun Fire X2100 with 4GB of RAM and FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE amd64)

It seems to be stable.

Miroslav Lachman