LOR on sleepqueue chain locks, Was: LOR sleepq/scrlock

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Sat Apr 19 11:38:34 UTC 2008

On 19/04/2008, at 3:14 AM, John Baldwin wrote:

>>> These are all garbage in kuickshow. :(
>>
>> They work fine for me in Firefox. But don't know what sort of jpegs
>> the Sony camera saves. Anyhow I've also now resaved them as png
>> (about
>> twice the size). Please let me know if that worked.
>>
>> http://www.ish.com.au/s/LOR/1.png , etc
>
> kuickshow had issues still, but FF worked ok.  The specific LOR at
> the end is
> real, but a minor one.  Basically, the console driver locks
> (e.g. "sio", "scrlock") are higher in the order than the various
> thread
> locks, so any printf while holding a thread lock will trigger a
> LOR.  The
> real problem at the bottom of the screen though is a real issue.
> It's a LOR
> of two different sleepqueue chain locks.  The problem is that when
> setrunnable() encounters a swapped out thread it tries to wakeup
> proc0, but
> if proc0 is asleep (which is typical) then its thread lock is a
> sleep queue
> chain lock, so waking up a swapped out thread from wakeup() will
> usually
> trigger this LOR.
>
> I think the best fix is to not have setrunnable() kick proc0 directly.
> Perhaps setrunnable() should return an int and return true if proc0
> needs to
> be awakened and false otherwise.  Then the the sleepq code (b/c only
> sleeping
> threads can be swapped out anyway) can return that value from
> sleepq_resume_thread() and can call kick_proc0() directly once it
> has dropped
> all of its own locks.
>
> --
> John Baldwin

The way you describe it, it almost sounds like this LOR should be
happening for everyone, all the time. To try and eliminate the factors
which trigger it for us, we tried the following: removed PAE from
kernel, disabled PF. Neither of these things made any difference and
the error is fairly quickly reproducible (within a couple of hours
running various things to load the machine). The one thing we did not
test yet is removing ZFS from the picture. Note also that this box ran
for years and years on FreeBSD 4.x without a hiccup (non PAE, ipfw
instead of pf and no ZFS of course).

Since I've ordered a replacement machine to go into production now, I
am happy to make this one available for whatever testing would benefit
the FreeBSD community to track down the problem.

If useful, we could upgrade this machine to 7 STABLE branch and use
the new tools Robert Watson recently wrote to dump better crash logs.
Let me know, but I don't know a lot about them yet apart from what I
read on this list.

Regards
Ari Maniatis

ish
http://www.ish.com.au
phone +61 2 9550 5001   fax +61 2 9550 4001